religion



Religion in my life is a bit of a paradox to those who know me.

I cannot quote scripture - nor do I want to. I do not feel that I need to run out the doors of the sanctuary and spread gospel from every corner of the globe. I do not see my brand of religion as superior to any other. I see it as mine - a pair of fuzzy warm shoes on a cold day that you slip into to help you navigate the elements and provide a bit of assurance that you can and will make it thru the day.

When I attend the Sunday morning service I do not put on airs - I go to church as me - in jeans, tee shirt and sneakers or flops depending on the season. No one casts a side long glance (and in a congregation where I am the youngest member of the church body by 20 years plus) - as I often say they are just happy to have me there regardless of how I dress, what is important is who I am.

I believe showing that you are a christian is not done thru words but by deeds, by the time you offer to lend a hand, volunteer to help, and simply live up to your end of the bargain. In this fashion I view religion and karma in the same vein. To quote Earl " do good things and good things happen, do bad things and bad things happen". I guess you could say I take a pantheistic approach to religion. I do not see the Muslim or Jewish faith as different than my own. I only see it in different packaging. Say for example you wrap two identical gifts for Christmas - one in a simple paper with elegant bow atop, the other in a bright patterned paper with a bright and shiny ribbon tightly wound around all sides. Does this change the gift - no it just packages it in a way that others can appreciate.

And now for the radical in me - I believe in evolution. I do not see evolution as a contradiction to creation. I see them working hand in hand. The seven days and seven nights recorded in the book of Genesis. I see these days as a metaphor for time. Since there was in fact no human to record this time and the being that tells of it is immortal what is a day in forever? I have wanted for years to put a Darwin fish on my truck - not as a down to religion jab - to me it says 'Why not both?' But my husband is concerned it would bother my very Baptist in laws.

I rather enjoyed this weeks sermon that referenced the John Stewart / Jim Creamer showdown on comedy central. I would wager that I was one of few that fully grasped the illustration being used in this sermon. A sermon that hammered home the need to be accountable. I personally find it ironic and perfect that as of late the only network to hold people accountable equally is comedy central and the comedians it houses. MSNBC has proved to be too far left for me to respect, and FOX news too far to the right. I miss the days of fair and unbiased reporting.

0 thoughts from readers: