Share the holiday season.

By now I bet most of my readers are under the impression that I totally ignore the fall holidays. This is not true but all my spare time that is not devoted to celebrating the season are spent preparing for the Christmas season. In all truth fall happens to be my absolute favorite season.

I have been wondering what are Christmas traditions you have that don't involve sweets, decorating, parties, or gift exchanging?

For me that is charity. Each holiday I donate to toys for tots, grab a angel off the angel tree, or take food to the food bank. This may not be Opera at the Met, but I see this as a classy holiday tradition.

Throughout the year I regularly take supplies to Blue Star Mothers. But the holidays I focus on those less fortunate.

If you have never done this I highly suggest this become a yearly tradition. No matter how small the gift you will make a difference in someones life.

I still remember as a child how we would go select a gift or two to take to the Toys for Tots. And then my Aunt and I would take them and deliver them to a Marine. As we were selecting the toy and dropping it off we would talk about the importance of helping the less fortunate. I see this as an indispensable life lesson that has suck with me and shaped who I am even today.

In lean years I have often purchased my gifts at Big Lots or the Dollar Tree. Other years I have tried to get the latest and greatest toy. But every year I do something. After all something is better than nothing.

I find that I get the most joy from picking out a Angel to buy for.

I try to pick the tweens or teens (most people go for the little ones.) I like getting the teens so that I will know that somewhere someone is opening a outfit that will make them feel good about who they are - and how they look, even just for one day. I cant help thinking how great it was to get all the cool new clothes for Christmas when I was in middle school. How I would labor over what to wear on the first day back.

If you are a parent I would suggest you and your child(ren) select someone together at about their age so that they can help in this gift selection.

Today while sorting thru my blogs I follow on google reader I came across a post for Bloggers care: Operation Christmas Child. Which in truth is what spawned this post. I don't know if the is the avenue I will choose to support this holiday season but I wanted to share this link for a good cause.

If you have never participated in an anonymous gift giving program before I hope you will consider it. If you do please take a moment to share a story or thought. Or as I asked in the beginning, how do you celebrate the holiday season? What makes Christmas, Christmas for you?

0 thoughts from readers: