religion - that topic



As most of you know I was raised in the Disciples of Christ Church.

I went thru a time where I questioned church as a whole. I could not understand how someone could profess to be a 'christian' and yet have a affair, marginalize members of the church, or berate those who do not believe. Correct me if I am wrong but I was taught god is love. To be a christian is to behave in a Christ like manner.

Each time I cross paths with one of 'those' people. I feel the need to slap them.

Recently my husband categorized himself as atheist. This is something he feels the need to do. I understand. I was there. I followed a strain of Atheism and Agnostic repeatedly in the late 1980's and all of the 1990's. Oddly enough sparked by a church camp experience.

Growing up I saw parents spending ungodly amounts of money sending their children to private school to shelter them from the world so that they could be better Christians. I am sorry I don't think that there is a platinum Christian. We are all pretty equal. It is how we act that counts. How do you treat your fellow man? Do you honor the vows you made before god and all creation both on the day you were baptized and on the day you were wed? This is what makes you Christian.

Likewise I believe people will find faith, and faith will find people. Going out and metaphorically hitting a person repeatedly with the bible will only cause them to run the opposite way, quickly.

I see this largely in my peers, the ones who had religion thrust upon them are now still wrestling with their faith. Conversely the peers I have who were encouraged like I was to question the beliefs, explore others, and arrive at their own conclusion are the ones who are still active members of a faith based group.

I guess my plea is this. No matter the label you choose to wear in reference to faith practice being a good humanitarian. A good steward of the earth. Honor your family, stay true to your vows, and above all else respect yourself. There are few thing in this world I prize as highly as my integrity.

3 thoughts from readers:

Al and Alison said...


Well said, Laurie.

!@#$% said...


So true.

Anonymous said...


This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.